How to Get Rid of Mould and Mildew in Your House
How to Get Rid of Mould and Mildew in Your House

What is mold and mildew?

Although the ever-growing mould and mildew inhabiting your house does not bother your sight, it is actually eating away at both your house and your health. What’s worse, if they are visible, it means you have a huge problem on your hands.

Cause of mold and mildew

Mould can be caused by a lot of factors, most commonly by leaks, humidity, and heat, especially when there is no ventilation for the space. Their unwanted existence thrives in moist and damp areas

The danger of mold and mildew

Not only do they cause structural damages, mould and mildew can also damage your health to the point where it is life-threatening. These health problems can range from light allergic reactions like coughing, itchy eyes, and rashes to bigger problems such as infections, respiratory problems (especially for people with asthma), and severe skin problems.

Beware of black mold

Black mold should be taken seriously. It is one of the most dangerous types of mold. It can be found in water damage, damp areas, and wet environments. Black Mold and Its Hazards For those that are looking for information on black mold, it is worth noting that even with those that have a strong immunity to the fungus, there are still hazards that are associated with exposure.

Black mold can cause allergic reactions in certain individuals and there are documented cases of people dying or becoming seriously ill from being exposed to black mold. One of the most serious hazards is the mycotoxin that it produces. This is a toxic substance that can cause severe disease as well as death. There are many health risks involved with black mold exposure, including neurological effects, allergies, asthma, and respiratory issues.

Natural and More safe way to get rid of mold

If you do not have a professional come and take care of the mould and mildew in your house, there are also natural and safer ways to do it yourself.

Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide is an excellent choice to get rid of mould on hard surfaces such as the kitchen, bathroom, and ceramic walls and floors. Pick a 3% concentration of hydrogen peroxide and pour it into a spray bottle. Test the liquid on a small area to indicate whether it can cause damage or discoloration. If not, then spray the surface covered in mould, leave for 10 minutes, scrub it off, and wipe dry.

White Vinegar

Another alternative is white vinegar. Spray to a surface covered in mould, leave for about an hour, scrub until clean and wipe off remains. If it is not strong enough, you can mix the white vinegar with water and baking soda with a ratio of 1:1:2, and mix well before use.


Lemon is also one of the many natural ingredients used for mould treatment because of the acidity of the juice and the fresh odour it leaves behind. Apply juiced lemons to the mouldy area for about 5 minutes and wipe with a damp towel. Do the steps a few times to get rid of tough mould stains.


To prevent mould from growing back, you can use a dehumidifier machine or a camphor to absorb moisture. Then, make sure your house has enough ventilation and is free of leaks (not only caused by the roof but also by wall cracks).

The most effective way of prevention is using mould and mildew proof paint, leakfree by Reflecto, to professionally protect every part of your house from any problems above occurring for a great amount of time.

recent post :

Tips mencegah bocor
Lawan kanker kulit dengan kaca film!
Batu Alam dan cara merawatnya